May is here and it’s by far my favorite month! There are many exciting things to look forward to in May like picnics in the park, going to rooftop and outdoor bars, Memorial Day Weekend, and most importantly, my birthday! For me, birthdays always bring a time of reflection and this year has been particularly memorable. I opened several new chapters in my life by starting this blog, marrying my best friend, and embarking on an incredible first year of marriage. Whenever I get a year older I look back on the past year’s accomplishments, learn from my mistakes, and make this upcoming year more positive and productive. I want to embrace every moment, laugh harder, have fun, and find joy. This birthday is a pretty big milestone; I am shutting the door of my twenties and opening a new one. It’s a little bittersweet, but I am looking forward to what this year has in store for me and am ready to turn the big scary 3-0! I am ready to take on a new decade, but before I do, I need to make a birthday wishlist. Since I’m leaving my 20’s behind I did research and thought long and hard about what I need to pack with me for my 30’s. Even though I always want to stay frugal, I want to live by a new motto of shopping: quality over quantity. I am a firm believer that you should treat yourself to at least one thing you’ve been lusting after. This edition of “A Few of My Favorite Things” is a list of items I’ve been coveting or just in desperate need of. Let me know which item you think I should to treat myself to in the comments below.
1. ARM CANDY: What girl doesn’t love jewelry? Two years ago it was necklaces, last year earrings, and this year I’m obsessed with bracelets. Julie Vos has quickly become my new favorite jewelry designer and I’m in love with this Bali Hammered Link Bracelet. I know that this will quickly become a regular visitor on my wrist and become BFFs with my watch. Next year who knows which accessories I’ll be focused on, but if anyone out there is listening, you can’t go wrong with a bracelet.
2. CHRISTIAN LOUBOUTIN: Classic Nude Pumps….do I really need to explain this one?
3. FABULOUS HAIR: “You want to be taken seriously, you need serious hair” – Working Girl
I am ashamed to admit that I started using a travel-sized blow dryer several years ago because it saved space in my small New York City bathroom. However, now it’s time to make the room and take care of my hair. If you blow-dry your hair nearly every day like I do, you need to invest in a professional dryer that will make your hair better, not worse. This year that’s exactly what I intend to do, and thanks to Beauty High, I found the perfect blow dryer!
4. MY PRECIOUS: I have spent the past 30 years of my life being frugal and practical about purchasing a handbag. But now I am ready to take the leap and invest in a designer bag. Now, if I’m being honest with you, I really want the holy grail of designer handbags; the Celine. Oh well, maybe for my 40th Birthday. Instead I have chosen a more reasonable, classic, and understated bag. High on my list is this beautiful YSL tote. It can fit a computer and all of my daily needs in one pretty chic case. (I wouldn’t say no to a classic Chanel bag either).
5. ALL DRESSED UP: One thing that hasn’t changed in the past 30 years, is how girly I am. If I’m not in a dress or skirt I’m not comfortable. That being said, it would be a terrible oversight if I didn’t include a dress in my wish list. I recently saw this adorable French Connection dress on a fellow blogger and fell in love with it. It’s a great piece for a warm summery day, and with tights, can flawlessly transition to winter. Plus, who doesn’t love the black and white combination?
6. DECORATIVE ACCENTS: One thing I love is tea roses and on the top of my wish list is a beautiful vase to display them in. I may have a small one-bedroom apartment but that doesn’t mean I can’t find ways to have flowers arranged throughout my home. This mint julep cup has been on my wish list for months. Lately I’ve noticed it being used more as a vase than a glass. I am always looking for new accessories to elevate my home’s style and I’m absolutely in love with this and must have it! Added bonus, Kentucky Derby lands on my Birthday this year. What better way to celebrate than sipping mint juleps out of my new cups?