One of my favorite things about the summer is escaping the city for a quiet weekend away in the country. My husband and I are very fortunate to have family just steps away from NYC but far enough away that we feel like we’ve traveled a great distance. In fact, while writing this post, I am sitting on my in-laws deck surrounded by trees and listening to birds chirping in the background. It has inspired me to dedicate this month’s favorite things post to what I am coveting for a weekend adventure. What items are on your list?
1. Eat.Shop.Live’s Book Club: Believe me, reading classic literature is a lot more inspiring while surrounded by nature instead of on your morning subway ride.
2. Summer Music: When getting out of the city, I like to leave all distractions at home. It’s wonderful to completely disconnect from electronics and get back to the basics. That being said, I still need some music to listen to on walks, by the pool, or in the background during a BBQ. That’s why I need an IPod shuffle to listen to music and not get distracted with emails. Check out this playlist of the best summertime tunes.
3. Footwear: Unless you have fancy plans you don’t need to bring a ton of shoes. I am loving Birkenstocks right now and this is a very versatile pair that will get you through all of your weekend activities.
4. Weekender: You’re not going on a plane so it’s not necessary to carry a large rollaway suitcase. All you need is this chic and sophisticated weekend duffle bag to carry your fabulous outfits.
5. Easy Does It: High on my summer wardrobe list is the effortlessly chic: the maxi dress. It’s perfect for a getaway because it’s comfortable, stylish, and can be dressed up or down according to your accessories. In my opinion, when packing for a trip, it’s priority number one.
6. Sunnies: I know that sunglasses are a given and go without saying, but look, how cute are these? Finding a new pair of sunnies that both fit your face and look adorable is very important. I must have these!
7. Cover-Up: Most likely you’re going somewhere where there is access to water. This week I posted my favorite swimwear trends and, after you find your perfect suit, you’re going to need this cover-up to complete the look.